Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

                                                                   

 Whenever I think about winter time I think about hot cocoa, being warm and cozy, and lots of good spices.I love using spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Which led me to thinking about ginger snaps. Ginger snaps are good, but I prefer a softer cookie. I found this on allrecipes.com and they turned out amazing. These cookies turned out nice and chewy in the middle with a good crunch to the edges. I prefer more spice when baking so i usually add a pinch more in each recipe. But this is simply to add more of a "me" touch and is not necessary. I also made these a bit bigger than walnut-sized but again, thats my preference.  Eat these with a glass of milk and you're set!

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar

                  

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.                                                  
  Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment